Meet the HAB Staff
Kyle Reese, Pastor
(904) 396-7745, ext. 303
Email Kyle here.
- Kyle Reese has been the senior pastor at Hendricks Avenue Baptist Church since May 1, 2006. He is married to Amy, and they are parents of Peyton, Hannah, and Wyatt. Kyle is an alumnus of Leadership Jacksonville (Class of 2008) and Leadership Florida Class XXVIII. One of his favorite things about serving Hendricks Avenue Baptist Church is that it gives him an opportunity to serve the larger community. Kyle is on the boards of OneJax, San Marco Rotary, Baptist Medical Center Jacksonville, and Youth Leadership Jacksonville. He is a co-host, with Nancy Broner, of WJCT’s “Faith Matters.” Active in Baptist life, Kyle serves on the board of Baptist News Global, as well as in various leadership roles within the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. He served as the preacher at the 2011 Cooperative Baptist Fellowship General Assembly in Tampa, Florida. Dr. Reese holds degrees from Wayland Baptist University, George W. Truett Theological Seminary at Baylor University, and Northern Baptist Theological Seminary.
Tommy Shapard, Minister of Music and Worship
(904) 396-7745, ext. 374
Email Tommy here.
- Tommy has been the Minister of Music and Worship at HAB since 2008. In addition to planning worship and providing pastoral care, he is the conductor for the Sanctuary Choir; leads the HAB Singers and Ringers; and oversees leadership for the Master Ringers and the graded children’s choirs. He earned his Bachelor of Music Education degree from Baylor University in 1997, graduating magna cum laude and receiving the School of Music’s Annual Senior Award for Outstanding Music Educator. Tommy received his Master of Divinity degree in 2004 from Emory University’s Candler School of Theology. He received a Master of Music in Music Performance (Conducting) at the University of North Florida under Dr. Cara Tasher in 2016. Over 20 years, Tommy has served churches in Texas, Florida, and Georgia. He served on the Extra-musical Subcommittee for the newest Baptist hymnal, Celebrating Grace (2010), served on the Worship Planning Committee for the 20th Anniversary General Assembly of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship (CBF), and was a presenter at Candler’s Festival of Congregational Song in 2012. Outside of the church, Shapard is the Director of Choirs as Florida State College at Jacksonville and directs the Certificate of Sacred Music at the University of North Florida. He is a member of ACDA, Choristers Guild, the Hymn Society, and Handbell Musicians of America. He currently pursuing the Doctor of Pastoral Music degree at SMU, Dallas, Texas, with Michael Hawn. Tommy is married to Rachel. They have three children, Drew, Kate, and Mac.
Britt Hester, Minister of Youth and Christian Education
(904) 396-7745, ext. 31
Email Britt here.
- Britt joined our ministerial staff on September 1, 2015. He holds a Master of Divinity degree from Mercer University’s McAfee School of Theology in Atlanta, GA and a Bachelor of Science in Communication Studies from Shorter College in Rome, GA. While at McAfee, he received the William Ollie and Nell Ray Key Excellence in Leadership Award and was elected Co-Class President for the Class of 2013. Britt has over 8 years of ministry experience in a variety of roles. Prior to joining HAB’s staff, Britt served as Minister of Youth & Missions at Heritage Baptist Church in Cartersville, GA. While in college and seminary, he served as the Student Ministry Intern at First Baptist Church of Rome, GA, worked as a Director and Bible Study Leader for Passport camps, and lead various youth retreats with churches from Alabama and Georgia. Britt is married to Courtney, who grew up in Jacksonville and attended HAB during her formative years. Courtney serves as an oncology chaplain for Baptist Health MD Anderson and is ordained in the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. Britt & Courtney are the proud parents of Toby, a Cardigan Welsh Corgi that keeps them active by insisting on a daily walk through the Riverside/Avondale neighborhood where they reside. In his free time, Britt enjoys traveling, going on dates with his wife, and watching/participating in sports.
Claire Kermitz Chinn, Minister of Children and Mission
(904) 396-7745, ext. 313
Email Claire here.
- Claire is a Jacksonville native and spent her formative years at HAB. She earned her M.Div. from McAfee School of Theology, where she met her husband Sam. They have two dogs, Jonah and Winston. She joined the staff at HAB in June 2017.
Vickie Landers, Church Administrator
(904) 396-7745, ext. 304
Email Vickie here.
- Ms. Landers is a Magna Cum Laude graduate of the University of North Florida with a Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting. She joined the staff at HAB in the fall of 2002, after working several years in the public accounting field and five years in corporate accounting.
Laraine Humbert, Pastoral Assistant & Church Pianist
(904) 396-7745, ext. 333
Email Laraine here.
- Laraine serves as pastoral assistant at HAB, working with both the pastor and the minister of music. She has worked at HAB since 2001 and has been a member here since 1986. Laraine graduated from Eastern Illinois University with a Bachelor of Music Education degree (piano concentration). She grew up in Ramsey, Illinois (population 800), where she started playing piano in church when she was in eighth grade. Laraine is married to Vernon, who is a cellist with the Jacksonville Symphony. They have three daughters, Elise, Amanda, and Michelle. The whole family lived in Bogotá, Colombia, for a year, where Vernon and Laraine taught at a school for missionary kids.
Alice Horner-Nelson, Communications Director
(904) 396-7745, ext. 306
Email Alice here.
- Alice recently joined the staff in May 2017. She is an ordained Baptist minister married to a Baptist minister named Matt, and moved to Florida in December 2016. Like Britt and Claire, she is a fellow graduate of the McAfee School of Theology. While at McAfee, she won the Claypool Preaching Award, and was ordained at Smoke Rise Baptist Church in Stone Mountain, GA. She completed her undergraduate degree in sociology and creative writing at Washington College in her native state of Maryland. She loves coffee, fashion, creativity, writing, and her big family of five siblings. She resides in Daytona Beach with Matt and her cats, Molly & Mary Todd.
Linda Nelson, Office Assistant
(904) 396-7745, ext. 302
Email Linda here.
Eleanor Rogers, Pastoral Care
Andrew Clarke, Church Organist
Julie Babcock, Media Library Specialist
Gene Maszy, Volunteer Food Service Director